Friday, November 9, 2007

The Votes are in!

Back by popular demand...

I came into work on Wednesday morning around 6:30 and a coworker exclaims "You won!"

"What did I win?"

He replied, "The election. The stuff you voted for and against went your way."

Again I said, "What did I win?"

Although initiatives and referendums were passed and rejected, I didn't really when anything. That's the thing about politics...little is really done or seen. I think that's why it's hard to get people to vote in local elections. I love to vote in local elections because that's the only place where I feel my vote may count.

So here are the results from my perspective:

I-960 was Tim Eyman's latest anti-tax initiative. Off year elections usually attract a lot of anti-tax voters so I guess it's no surprise that this one passed. As a result, if lawmakers want to raise taxes more than allowed in the initiative then the people must also agree via a vote.

Prop 1 was the HUGE transportation package that would have expanded the yet to be seen light rail and would give a little more funding to the 520 rebuild project. Thankfully this was rejected because it would have been the most expensive tax package in the nation's history.

Ref 67 passed although I voted against it. As a result, it will be harder for insurance companies to deny your legitimate claims. I voted against this because our state has an insurance commissioner who is supposed to be our advocate. If you were having problems with your insurance then you would file a complaint w/ the insurance commissioner who would try to resolve the matter legally. Also, with the passing of this referendum, premiums were to increase about $200 a family.

No comments: